Today it is precisely 3 weeks since we said our goodbyes at EMS2017. After the congress en overall evaluation of EMS2017 was send to all participants. 266 or 21 percent has answered the evaluation form so far. We have tried to sum up the answers here.
For visual impressions from EMS2017, check out the pictures and films here: Impressions from EMS2017
EMS2017 seen in an overall perspective
EMS2017 was held in Copenhagen from Monday 22 May to Wednesday 24 May 2017 at Tivoli Hotel & Congress Center. The congress was held by EMS Copenhagen in cooperation with the Laerdal Foundation. In connection with EMS2017, the first international meeting among the members of the Global Resuscitation Alliance (GRA) was held. In addition, there was also a meeting in the EMS Leadership Network, a network that was created in connection with EMS2016.
The theme for EMS2016 and EMS2017, respectively, was it takes a system to save a life. In 2017, the theme was further expanded with the phrase ‘Let’s Collaborate‘. HRH Crown Princess Mary was protector of EMS2016 as well as EMS2017 and participated in the opening ceremony at both congresses.
1.317 delegates from 40 different countries registered for EMS2017.
The program for EMS2017 consisted of:
- 3 precources including a cadaver lab
- 24 sessions
- 12 workshops
- 6 break-out sessions
- 4 keynotes
- An opening and a closing ceremony
- 84 posters (8 of these where presented in the sessions ‘best abstracts’ and 48 of these where published in BMJ Open)
- 11 teams competing in the EMS Championship
- An extensive social program with a floating reception, an emergency management scenario, a morning run, a gala dinner, an EMS/fire station tour and a guided tour to the EMS Copenhagen dispatch center
EMS2017 was sponsored by 9 leading EMS firms and 18 firms attended the congress as exhibitors.
When looking at the overall evaluation from the participants, EMS2017 can be deemed a success:
- 99.2% percent answered that the congress was well organized
- 93.4 percent answered that they would like to attend another edition of the congress
- 95.4 percent answered that they would recommend the congress to others
- 87.3% percent answered that they were satisfied with the overall composition of the program
The scientific programme
It was the goal, that the EMS2017 scientific programme would be world class, with leading profiles and highly relevant topics. More than 75 speakers from around the world spoke during EMS2017 Topics such as resuscitation, Stroke, Burnout in EMS healthcare professionals, Technology and gadgets and childbirth emergencies was on the agenda.
The scientific program and interaction was rated on a scale from 1 (very poor) to 5 (excellent) in the evaluation send to the participants after the congress:
- The relevance of the scientific programme scored an average of 4.07
- The quality of the session scored an average of 4.03
- The scope of the programme scored an average of 4.08
- The ability to discover new trends and directions scored an average of 3.91
- Interaction during the sessions scored an average of 3.96
Venue, catering and the social programme
Like the scientific program, the venue, catering and the social programme was rated on a scale from 1 (very poor) to 5 (excellent) in the evaluation send to the participants after the congress. Except for the Emergency Management Scenario which scores a 3.78 all the social event scores from 4.26 (the opening session) to the Gala Dinner which scores as high as 4.8
Catering scores a 4.5, while venue and congress rooms scores a 4.52.
Focus for EMS2018
Overall the participants whom answered the evaluation form were very satisfied with EMS2017, and there is not one single thing that can be pointed out to have been a disappointment. There are off course things that can be even better for the next congress, especially we will be looking more closely at the exhibition, making the scientific progamme even more innovative and applicabl and then off course continuously working on keeping up the high standards from the previous congresses.
The dates for EMS2018 will be announched as soon as possible.